Smoke on the Water

This piece for Exercise 2.3 has taken forever. My last post shows the beginnings of (and failed first attempt at) this idea. The parameters were A3 size, solid colored background, only one object (still related to the tea time theme) and still focusing on line.

Again, I used watercolor to make my own background. Then I cut various fabric shapes and layered them horizontally to create the water:

IMG_0010

Then, on another paper, I cut vertical strips from assorted papers and overlapped:

IMG_0011

which I then cut out to create mountains:

IMG_0012

A bit of sketching for finishing ideas:

IMG_2098

Adding some silver paper to represent steam* finished the piece:

Part Two, Exercise 2.3

Smoke on the Water (Part Two, Exercise 2.3)

 

I’m not sure that I stuck to the parameters as well as I should have, but overall, I’m very pleased with it!

I learned a lot about collage, mixing materials and the different effects that can produce. I learned I like working with fabric more than paper, but I also like the way they contrast each other, and how the different prints on both meld together when you step back. Also, that glue and I have a mutual dislike of each other.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist the title, blame my brother Rob  for telling me the finished pieces need one.
*Thanks Rob and Charlie for the steam idea!

Advertisements

One thought on “Smoke on the Water

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s